Aug 7, 2015

A farewell

It is time to stop this blog. Not just because I keep having too much to do. As you may have noticed, my posts have gotten terser over time as I tried to condense my experience in fewer words. Talking about faith, I have come to believe, can dilute it, and get in the way of living it.

Plus I have become aware that all my writings are subtle attempts at boxing God into the confines of my experience, to give me words to hold on to. Which is exactly what I tried to overcome in the first place (cf. the title of this blog).

I recently discovered Karl Barth, and his teachings have helped me see through this particular trap. I recommend him highly.

I have made one last effort to sum up my view on faith in a pithy way. Here's what I came up with:

  • Invite silence
  • Be gracious to all
  • Don't try to find fault
  • Don't reject suffering
  • Walk in trust

That's it. Very simple, and at the same time very difficult. This, in my very humble opinion, is the sum of all faith. (Of all faiths, really. We are Christians because we are empowered by Jesus to live this way, but living by it is what matters, not so much who gets you there.)

I will miss you, dear readers. You are a small, select group from all over the world. I hope my writings have enriched you a bit, or helped you along the way. If you wish to leave me a note to let me know what you found here, I would very much appreciate it.

Vaya con Dios.

No comments:

Post a Comment