May 16, 2014

Faith of experience, faith of practice

The other night, as I walked down the outside stairs of the building I work in, bathing in the red glow of the setting sun that reflected from the walls and illuminated the cityscape while blades of grass were shivering in the odd spring cold, I caught a glimpse of why I've (again) become discouraged with this blog.

What I've been doing here, mostly subconsciously, is try to share my experience of God in the hope of arriving at a way of thinking about God. Both has failed: for God cannot be captured or preempted in words. We have to experience Him in and through our lives: and experience constantly changes, it morphs, grows, and matures. On top of that, we all experience and think about God in different ways. What really matters is not so much what we say or think but that we integrate our experience, that we make it our home in Eternity.

In brief, what I've really been looking for was a way of practicing faith, and I may have found one. More on that later. In the meantime, may the Spirit be with you. He is there: in the splendor of morning's first rays, the darkening trek of clouds at dusk, the unrelenting heat of noon and the silence of midnight. All it takes to see is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment